Cable Splicing & Terminating, Medium-Voltage | Hands-On Training Course
4.5 -Day | 3.6 CEUs | $1,885 + $865 Material Kit | Hands-on | Course #130 | 8 am-4:30 pm
This course provides instruction on the proper installation of cable splices and terminations. New or experienced electricians and technicians that install, maintain, repair or troubleshoot 5-35 kV solid dielectric power cables will benefit from this course. Properly trained and skilled craftsmen, who install and test the cable correctly, can drastically improve the life expectancy of cables.
According to IEEE Std. 493-2007, Table 10.33, inadequate installation and testing prior to start-up of cable splices and terminations are the primary causes of failure. Yet over the last few decades, cable splicing and testing as a profession has declined. Multi-crafting and departmental mergers have made it just one task among many.
- Explain medium voltage cable components and construction
- Identify applications of different cable types including marine, offshore, mining, underground (URD) and tech
- Prepare cable for splicing utilizing hand tools, abrasives and solvents
- Install taped, molded heat shrink splices on tape-shielded and jacketed concentric (JCN) cables
- Install taped, cold shrink, heat shrink and molded elbow terminations
- Use an AC VLF 0.1 Hz Test Set to proof-test terminations and splices performed in lab
- Identify the causes of splice and termination failures
- Explain the procedures for buried, duct and tray installation and the relevant OSHA safety requirements
*This course is required for Medium-Voltage Cable Technician Certification
Course Duration: 4.5 days
Credits: 3.6 CEUs
Level of Involvement: Hands-on
Schedule: 8:00 am-4:30 pm
Course Number: 130
Tuition USD: $ 1,885 – Plus Material Kit $865 Per Student
Need more information or interested in an On-Site Quote for this course?
CLICK HERE to contact your AVO Account Executive or you can call us directly at 877-594-3156
Share this course with a friend!